How My Hobbies and Interests Began

 How My Hobbies and Interests Began

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."

~George Bernard Shaw


My camera and its lenses.

Hello everyone! Welcome to my fifth-ever post on Blogger. This time I thought I would tell you about my hobbies and interests and how I got started with them. I am not trying to brag, but instead, I am writing this in the hopes that it will inspire someone to pursue and explore a random interest. You never know where it could take you! 😉

[Note: This is going to be a rather long post...]

HOBBIES

Photography (2014-Present)

I have always found cameras fascinating. I think of them as little devices that can capture a memory or a moment in time so that it lasts forever. For me, that's very valuable (as I am terrified of forgetting everything I care about someday...). I would be distraught if I lost all my pictures, videos, or my camera.

The first time I remember using a camera was in the fall of 2013. My mom had spotted a large owl (I assume it was a great horned owl) perched in our neighbour's tree. I wanted to get pictures, so my dad showed me which buttons to press on his camera. My parents were impressed with my photos, so in the spring of 2014, I got my first camera for my 9th birthday. It took me a while to learn about keeping things focused and getting the best angles, but I got some exceptional ones. The next three pictures are some of the first that I made.

A rabbit at the zoo.

Over the years, I taught myself how to take better pictures. (I also got some helpful tips from my parents). I loved it, and I had a lot of fun. Unfortunately, my camera got lost for 1 1/2 years (when we moved twice). Luckily it was found after our second move. But then I started to 'force' myself to take pictures and videos to remember all sorts of random things. I reckon because there was so much I couldn't take pictures of while my camera was missing, I felt I had to make up for that. I didn't enjoy photography, but I did it anyway. Who knows what went on in my tween mind! 🙄

A baby bird (most likely a gosling) at the zoo.

Nonetheless, I still took great pictures, and my skills soon surpassed the abilities of my little camera. So for my birthday in 2018, I got a new camera (thanks to my grandpa) that was much more professional than even my dad's camera. That's when I started to enjoy photography again. My pictures were of higher and better quality, and I still haven't learned about all that my camera is capable of! My passion has stayed steady for many years, and now that I have a blog, I'm looking forward to sharing my pictures with you all. 😊

A peahen at the zoo.

Storywriting (2017-Present)

As I mentioned in my first post, I started off disliking writing. But that changed after my and my sisters' best friend Madilyn moved away. We could no longer play together daily and continue the elaborate story we had created with our model Schleich horses (known as The Horse Game). So we began writing stories through email, telling each other about what our characters were up to. Madilyn and I already loved reading, so writing a story came naturally. They started off short and looked more like a simple screenplay. After a few months of writing, they grew longer and more descriptive until they were the length of a short chapter.

[The first story I wrote to Madilyn:]

Gingermint: Nicholas's family condition is popping up. It's where he gets bloodthirsty. Very interesting, but the herd always makes me stop him. His father never got it because he died early. Nicholas is also turning his maximum age soon. Life is fascinating. But the herd looks MISERABLE! They haven't had water. Only dry food. I hope we move on soon.

:suddenly Gingermint is jostled awake:

Felicia: Gingermint! Will. You. Wake. Up! Nicholas just attacked Puzzle! What were you dreaming?

:then the dream faded into nothing as Gingermint leaped up:

😅😂🤦

GIF from Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron

[My most recent (unfinished) Horse Game Story that I wrote in 2020]

The Warning

*  *  *

A cool breeze blew over the mountains, sweeping through the valley. Early spring in the mountains was still quite cold, but there were a couple of days in between when it was warm and sunny.

A young dark grullo Arabian stallion walked through the long, dried grass, where a few green spring shoots were growing through. He struggled through the places with thick tangles of dormant plants. He finally stopped in a spot of bare earth, catching his breath. Having lived in the desert all of his life where the sand reached out to every horizon, walking through terrain where hooves didn’t sink into the ground was very odd for him.

But he just had to find the herds. It was his first very important mission, and he was determined to complete it.

Another cold breeze brushed over the stallion’s back, and he lifted his lip to scent the air. The Mountain Herds were in this valley, he was sure of it. But the Valley was absolutely endless―how was he supposed to find them to deliver the warning?

∼ 🙝 ∼

GIF from Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron

So... which did you like better? 😂

As we got older, our stories became better and much more sensible. We realized that despite some crazy plot twists (don't get me started on the blood demons...) The Horse Game had some real potential. So we plan to rewrite our stories to turn them into a book series: The Journey of the Herds. Perhaps someday if we can make the time to actually start writing the books, we may get them published. But in this world where people criticize harshly and take things too seriously, we probably won't do that. But I also have many ideas for other books and series I could write someday.

I love writing because it makes me feel like I can go anywhere. It's similar to reading, except that I can decide what happens. From what I've learned, story writing does give you the wings and freedom to fly.

GIF from Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron

Video Filming & Editing (2017-Present)

This hobby was thanks to Schleichhorselover200 on YouTube. I discovered her channel through her series Winddancer The Story of One Wild Stallion. I remember being impressed that a girl close to my age could create such professional-looking videos by herself! So I decided to do some research so I could try it out. I started using Windows Movie Maker, which I loved, and made three videos with. But then I had to get a new computer and could no longer use Windows Movie Maker (since it is a retired program). I spent weeks digging through the internet to find the next closest thing. I finally tried three different programs, and my favourite became Wondershare Filmora. While I enjoy the results, editing videos takes time, so I don't do it often. I have a YouTube channel (Vibrant Varieties) where the videos are private and unlisted for the moment. I might post some videos publicly someday, though.

Crafting (2017-Present)

This hobby was also inspired by Schleichhorselover200. Once my sisters and I began setting up our Schleich model ranch, I started making my own tack (horse halters, blankets, etc.) and supplies using many of her tutorials. I spent a lot of time practicing with trial and error. Nowadays, I don't use many tutorials anymore, and I've even been looking into other crafts unrelated to toy horses. I have also become somewhat of a "glue master" because whenever something breaks that can be fixable with glue, I fix it.

My most difficult projects thus far have been a barn with four stalls, a tack room, a two-horse-drawn wagon, and credential wallets for an NCIS game.

I hope to open an Etsy shop someday. I plan to start out by selling Schleich and Breyer model-related items. Eventually, I may sell other things that'll appeal to a wider range of people (apparently, not everyone collects model horses...). 😉

The NCIS credential wallets that I made myself. (Edited)

Instruments (2021-Present)

The first instrument I learned to play was a Sonor Soprano Diatonic Glockenspiel. I could play a few simple Christmas songs, but I'm not an expert.

The second I learned was the recorder. It is a simple instrument, which is probably why the students at my public school learned it. I only memorized one song (Hot Cross Buns) before I broke my arm and then moved away and started homeschooling. 😅 But around the time we started getting guitar lessons (in 2021), I started to teach myself to play more on the recorder.

At some point in 2018, we got our friend Madilyn's first keyboard (since she got a better one). But we used it as a table until I got some books to teach myself how to play it.

My sisters and I got our own guitars for Christmas in 2016. It was a splendid surprise! But since no one in our family knew how to play the guitar, we didn't start learning until 2021. One of our neighbours was retired, so we got lessons from him for almost a year. But then life got busy for all of us, and my sisters and I lost our motivation to play after our grandparents passed away that December. During 2022, I didn't make much progress with any of my instruments. I did start teaching myself to "properly" sing though. But during February or March of 2023, I tried to start practicing my instruments consistently again... 🙃

For the Christmas of 2022, I asked for a cactus rainstick. My public school teacher had one in the classroom that I always found mesmerizing. So after I finally found out what it was called, I asked for my own, simply because I enjoy the sound of it. I decided to mention it because it is an instrument.

And now for the newest addition, my viola! I had asked for one last Christmas but didn't get it because of constant delays with the company we ordered from. You wouldn't expect a viola to be so tricky to get! But finally, it arrived unexpectedly in early March. I plan on also teaching myself how to play it. It won't be easy, but I'm up for the challenge!

My instruments. (Edited)

Latch Hooking/Knitting/Crochet/Weaving (c. 2013 to Present)

Doing handicrafts like these has always been a part of our family, so my mom started teaching me when I was little. I am still a beginner, but I do it because I find it relaxing (and it gives me something else to do while watching TV). I would also like to learn embroidery and sewing. I haven't completed much besides a few pairs of potholders, but here is a picture of some of the other things I made this year: a little blue knitted scarf for my stuffed raccoon (Rascal) and the three scenes I latch-hooked that I intend on turning into pillows. Eventually...

Some things I made using yarn. (Edited)

Archery (2016 to present)

After my sisters and I got some bows and arrows sometime in 2016 or 2017, we tried to learn archery. One of my sisters and I managed to hit the target a few times, but we didn't know how to aim well. We rarely practiced, due to the frequent winds out where we live. But the same neighbour who gave us guitar lessons also gave us a few archery lessons. We were making some progress, and I hope that we can continue to get lessons from him this summer. After all, I want to be able to hit a target on horseback someday...

Google Slides (2016-2024)

Back in 2015 or 2016, my once-best friend from public school sent me some Google Slides she made to show me pictures of herself and her dogs, and that's how I got introduced. I taught myself how Google Slides worked, and I started making all kinds of random slideshows about things such as our pets, pictures from trips, and guides explaining our games. It was much easier to show everyone my pictures that way than sending them through email. But now, I have a blog where I can share my photos and stories instead. I won't delete any of the Slides I currently have and will continue to update them (and finish the ones I still haven't finished). I just won't be focusing as much on making new ones in the future.

Blogging (2023-Present)

This is the newest hobby that I've been exploring. Last year, two of our best friends (Hailey and McKayla) sent us the links to their blogs on Blogger, and that's how my sisters and I were introduced to the world of blogging. But we didn't go deeper into it until we decided to start blogs. At first (when I called myself Hannah), I pretended to be some friendly stranger. But McKayla figured out who I was after only 2 or 3 days (since we're best friends in real life). 😅

I'm not using my real name (obviously). I call myself Hividah, which is a name I invented for a tawny owl character I played once. I believe I combined the words "honey" and "vivid."

INTERESTS

Astronomy (2017-Present)

This interest started in 2017 when I was watching TV at night (it's a habit I have long quit). Several shows on the Science Channel (such as How the Universe Works) held so much information about space. Within a few nights, I learned more than my parents ever did at school. I'll admit that I used to avoid astronomy because it overwhelmed me. But I taught myself not to fear the universe (haha, I know, how silly, right?) but to observe it curiously. I still find it fascinating, and I watch mainly from the YouTube channel Secrets of the Universe. I even considered becoming an astronomer, but I decided against it because I would never see the results of some things in my lifetime. That's not something I'd be satisfied with. Besides, many things are only theories or hypotheses which are extremely difficult to prove.

Nonetheless, I still love going out on a warm night to gaze up at the neverending sky, looking into the past at the light of the stars that shone millions of years ago.

Psychology (2020-Present)

It still puzzles me how I got interested in psychology in the first place, especially since I spent so many years avoiding people-related things... Ah, the irony. What fascinates me is that there are reasons for the random (or often overlooked) things that people do. A tilt of the head could signify interest, and crossing one's arms can be a way of self-comforting.

I used to watch a bunch of those "psychology facts" videos on YouTube until I realized that most of them were just random or wishful assumptions without any science to back them up. So then I turned to books, such as The Dictionary of Body Language by Joe Navarro. And yes, I've also been paying closer attention to Dr. Lance Sweets, a character from the TV show Bones... 😅 I don't think I lack body language reading skills (I took several quizzes to be sure). It doesn't hurt to expand on your knowledge, though!

GIF of Dr. Lance Sweets from Bones

Acting/Roleplaying (Always) 

I'm not sure if this would be considered a "hobby" or an "interest," but it's simply one of the things I love to do! Ever since I can remember, my sisters and I played games where we were different animals. We mainly crawled around on the floor because most animals walk on four legs. We played as cats, dogs, horses, dragons, and many more animals. Our games were typically based on some TV or book series where we created our own characters (otherwise known as OCs or Original Characters). But in the last year or so, we attempted something new. We started to play NCIS with our three best friends, and we each chose a character from the show to play. I ended up as Ziva David, and I'll admit, it's a challenge to try and play as close to a TV show character as possible. While my portrayal isn't perfect, it's great fun expanding my acting skills.

GIF of Ziva from NCIS

Nature (Always)

My parents are scientists, so my sisters and I have grown up appreciating nature and learning about the world from a scientific perspective. So we're not afraid of creatures like insects or arachnids (spiders). Why should we be? All living things share this world, and as long as we give each other space, they have no reason to hurt us. Overall, I keep in mind two things. One: They are more afraid of us than we are of them. Two: They will only try to harm us if we are trying to hurt them (and give them no chance to escape).

If you take the time to notice nature, you'll see all its beauty. Over the thousands of years of human history, we have grown further away from our connection with nature. We rarely take the time to stand in the middle of nowhere and to hear the wind whispering stories through the trees and the grass; the rushing sound of cold water in a lake or stream; the smell that the rain brings; the thrill of a strong wind; the power of a storm; the colours and beauty of a sunrise or sunset; the majesty of the mountains and land formations; and when you look into an animal's eyes and realize, we aren't so different after all.

We are a part of nature, and nature is a part of us.

Things I Used to Do

Loom Bracelets (2014-2020)

On a trip to England in 2014 (during the Rainbow Loom craze), my sisters and I made friends with a girl named Grace, who introduced us to making loom bracelets. I was literally "hooked." 😉 I got a magazine with instructions on making different kinds, but I could never get one to not fall apart once I took it off the loom. It was very frustrating, and for years I tried again and again. Then, back in 2019-2020, I finally figured it out! I was missing something I like to think of as "loom sense." That's where you understand how the bands must be looped to hold the design together. Once I had that figured out, I could do almost anything! I started buying different coloured bands, charms, and a better hooking tool. Once I had made everything I wanted to from the magazine, I moved on to YouTube tutorials. I'm personally not very fond of the "hook-only" designs (that's where my "loom sense" is lacking). But overall, I loved making various things.

After a few months, though, many of my creations started cracking and falling apart (due to the dry air where we live). I happily fixed them until I realized it was pointless since they ended up breaking apart again anyway. I still have many of the things I made, though, and I do loom some new things on occasion. But it's not a hobby I do as actively as I once did.

The main part of my loom collection.

Letter Writing (Snail Mail) (2011-2021)

I started writing letters to my grandparents (Dad's side) when they visited us from Germany. With practice, I learned how to do it properly with good paper, structure a letter, and where to write the addresses on an envelope and place the stamp. I mainly wrote to my grandma until she started getting dementia. From 2014 to 2015, I was pen pals with a girl named Grace (whom I mentioned in the previous section). Then sometime in 2016 or 2017, I picked up contact with two other girls that my sisters and I once knew when we were little. So for several years, we were pen pals, talking about all sorts of things. It was fun, despite that I always put a lot of effort into making an elegant-looking letter, while they used torn paper from a notebook and wrote something with a pencil. But at least they wrote back!

Until we lost touch around the time the first Covid vaccines came out (they were the sort of people who were very much against it). I told them that we were getting them (after they said they weren't), and they never wrote back. That shows how some people refuse to hear an opinion different from their own. It's sad that, in a way, the art of discussing matters is also dying out in this modern age.

So in all, with the modern-day competition of emails and texting (which is a much quicker and more efficient way of communicating and keeping in touch with friends), handwritten letters are just a dying art form.

GIF from the 1st Harry Potter movie

Things I Want to Look Into

Woodcarving/burning

I find ice carving fascinating and beautiful. But why put in hours or days of effort to have it melt away when it gets warmer? Then I realized, what is similar but could last so much longer? Woodcarving! But I also find that one can burn intriguing pictures onto wood. Besides that I love the smell of burnt wood, it tells a story, and I think it's beautiful. 😊

Plant Pressing

My mom would do plant pressing when we were younger, and I always found it interesting. In 2020 I wanted to start it as a new hobby, but I didn't have the time (as I was so busy with other things during Covid, such as learning to fly a kite, making loom bracelets, and other things). But for my birthday in 2022, I got a little plant press from one of my best friends (thanks so much, McKayla!). So I plan on starting when the flowers return.

A pressed flower resin coaster that I got from LoriTuckerDesign.
Quilling

To put it simply, "quilling" is where thin strips of colourful paper are curled and bent to form beautiful pictures and patterns.

This was something that my mom discovered several years back. She bought the supplies but never learned how to do it. Now that I'm older, I want to learn it as well. So hopefully, we can both find the time to do so together.

Picture from Meghan's Designs.

Fishing

We were introduced to fishing during a trip in the summer of 2018. My sister and I were taught the basics, and I even caught a fish twice! Not long after, we got our own fishing rods which we have yet to use. Unfortunately, the place we live is pretty much devoid of water, so we'll have to see when the next opportunity comes "splashing" by.

This is the best GIF, in my opinion.

That's All!

Well... I didn't mention something that was a big part of my life from 2019 until 2022: horses and horseback riding. 🐎 But I figured it was too long and complicated to share on this post, so I left it out. Besides, this already turned out to be rather long... Congrats if you made it this far without getting bored! 😄 I do appreciate it (since I did my best to make it interesting). I was surprised by how much there was! I suppose that learning and exploring/trying new things is probably my main hobby and interest. I'm definitely no expert at anything, though... Perhaps I'm somewhat a "Jack of all trades, master of none"? 😅

What is your favourite hobby (that you have), and how did you start it?

GIF of Tribbles from Star Trek

"Use what talent you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best." ~Henry Van Dyke

Comments

  1. Wow Your Hobbies are all so Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an interesting post! I love how many different hobbies and interests you have. I might want to do a post like this if that's okay with you. I feel like it would be fun to look back at how I started my hobbies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grazie, McKayla! Yes, I'm fine with that. I would love to see a post about your hobbies and how you started them. 😊

      Delete

Post a Comment